Two dead in another Sokoto boat mishap, third in August

Spread the love

Two dead in another Sokoto boat mishap, third in August

Agency Report

The National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) has confirmed another fatal boat mishap for the third time within this month at Jaranja river in Shagari local government area of Sokoto State.

NIWA Area Manager in Sokoto, Bala Bello, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Sokoto that two persons died, while nine survivors were rescued.

Mr Bello, who said the incident occured in the afternoon of Friday, attributed it to negligence, canoe overloading and safety rules violation.

He explained that a rescue team that comprised officials from NIWA, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and Red Cross Society were deployed to the scene.

Mr Bello said the team confirmed the casualty figures while search and rescue operations were ongoing to locate the missing persons.

The Area Manager reiterated that NIWA had been engaging riverine communities on safety measures and guidelines, use of life jackets and other considerations on water usage.

NAN recalls that the Sokoto State Government confirmed the death of four passengers, 41 survivors and five missing persons in a boat mishap on 17 August at Kojiyo Village in Goronyo Local Government Area of the state.

Another incident occured on 22 August, at Faji Community in Sabon Birni Local Government Area of the state, while the present incident was the third within the month.

Speaking at the scene, Tukur Abubakar, the NEMA Head of Rescue and Rehabilitation, said search was ongoing to locate the missing person.

A resident, Malam Abubakar Jabbi from La told NAN that 9 persons were rescued by local divers, recovered one body, and searching for a missing female passenger. (NAN)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *